Costa Rica Passport Photos
Correct online passport photos can speed up the process when applying for a Costa Rican passport.
When it comes to photo requirements, there are several, making passport photos one of the most important parts of the application process.
Costa Rica Passport Picture Requirements:
- Two photographs per application
- Taken in the last 6 months
- Photo must be 5 x 5 cm
- The person’s face, from the neck up, should consume 50% of the area of the photo
- The face, considered to be from the base of the chin to the top of the head, should not measure less than 2.5 cm and no more than 3.4 cm
- A white background should be behind the person in photos
- Ears should be clearly visible
- The person should be directly facing the camera in each photo
- The face of the person should be completely clear in each photo
- All photos should be sharp without blurriness
- Hair should be pulled back behind ears
- Glasses should not be present
- Nothing should be on head, such as hats
- Head coverings are permitted only for strict religious purposes
- There should be color contrast in all photos so that it is easy to see the face of the person
- Any photos that are too bright, blurry, or have shadows present in the background or on the face of the person will be rejected
More information can be found at from the General of Migracion of Costa Rica.
Costa Rica Passport Picture Requirements for Children:
- All requirements listed above apply to a child’s passport application.
- In photos of children that are too small to stand alone, there should be no other person visible in the photograph
- If a child is too young to hold their head up for the photo, they can lay directly on a white background
- Special attention should be made in photos of children that no shadows are present
Costa Rica Passport Renewal
The process for renewing a passport includes similar Costa Rica passport photo requirements as listed above.
Two additional photos are required for passport renewal.
These photos should be color photos taken on a white background and taken within the last 6 months.
Visiting the U.S.
All citizens of Costa Rica who plan to visit the United States will need a valid passport which must be valid for at least six months past the planned exiting date from the U.S.
In order to travel to the United States, Costa Rican citizens will need to apply for and obtain a U.S. Visa.
There are two types of visas for a Costa Rican citizen to choose from when entering the Unites States:
- Nonimmigrant Visa (B-2)
- Immigrant Visa
To determine which visa is right for you, visit the Costa Rica office of the U.S. Embassy.