Lost or Stolen Passport

What to do – How to Replace


Reporting Passport Loss or Theft

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, it is imperative to take immediate action to avoid becoming a victim of identity theft.

The first step is to report the loss or theft, which you can do by U.S. State Department website to be directed toward the U.S. government page where a Form DS-64 can be submitted electronically.

The system will guide you through the process of verifying your personal information and reporting the passport status.

If you are unable to submit your report of a stolen or lost passport electronically, you may call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.

Once your passport has been identified as lost or stolen, it is immediately canceled and cannot be retrieved or reinstated.

If you find your passport after canceling, Do Not Use It!

After your passport loss has been reported, you should receive a confirmation email confirming receipt of your request, followed by a second email stating
that it has been entered into the Consular Lost or Stolen Passport database.

If you did not receive an email or have additional questions not answered below, you can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.

Replacing Your Lost or Stolen Passport

The instructions for how to replace your lost passport differ depending on whether you have scheduled imminent international travel or not.

If you are traveling within the two weeks following loss or theft of your passport, you must make an appointment to apply in person at a Passport Agency and you should be able to get a replacement within eight days.

Don’t forget to obtain a new passport photo that conforms to all regulations or your new passport may be delayed.

General U.S. Passport Photo Requirements:

  • Color 2” x 2”
  • Gloss or Matte photo quality paper
  • Taken against a white background
  • No shadows on face or background
  • Nothing covering your face or glare on glasses
  • No hats/headgear unless worn daily for religious purposes

If you have no planned international travel within a two week time frame, you must submit Form DS-11, which is a basic U.S. passport application, in person at an authorized Passport Application Acceptance Facility in order to replace your U.S. passport.

These facilities include many post offices, clerks of court, public libraries and other state, county, township, and municipal government offices. There are 1,000 of them across the country.

Please note that this application is different from a passport renewal form so be sure to complete the correct form.

If you have already reported your passport lost or stolen, you will not need to fill out the paper form to report it unless you visit the agency within 48 hours of your electronic submission.

Additional Information

Once you have reported your passport stolen or lost, it will be invalidated and can no longer be used even if recovered.

However, if it is recovered, you can submit it to the address listed on the back of Form DS-64 to have it officially cancelled and returned to you if requested.

Remember, you must fill out a completely new form with a new regulation passport photo if your for a stolen or lost passport. You cannot use the old one as the basis for requesting a new one.

Once your replacement passport has been mailed out, as indicated by the online passport status system, you should receive it at the address provided within ten business days.

If you do not receive it within that time frame, you should contact the National Passport Information Center to report that it has not arrived.

You must report that you have not received the passport within 90 days from the date the passport was issued or you must reapply and again pay all application fees.