U.S. Passport Photo Requirements
There is no need for a set of 8 of the exact same passport photo for your application.
Your U.S. passport application may be delayed or denied if you do not submit a passport photo that meets the below criteria.
Passport Photo Requirements
- In color.
- 2” x 2” square.
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper.
- Taken within the last 6 months.
- Full face view with white or off-white background
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the or the top of your chest/shoulders and face taking up the majority of the frame.
- Neutral facial expression or small smile.
- No shadows on face or in background.
- No glare on normally worn prescription glasses.
- Taken in clothing you normally wear.
- No uniforms or camouflage attire should be worn unless that attire is used daily for religious purposes.
- No headphones, sunglasses or anything extraneous on your head or in your photo.
- No hats or head-coverings unless you ware it daily for religious purposes.
- Full face must be visible. No hair or shadows covering your face.
TIP! Correctly sizing your Passport Photo can be easily completed using your computers “Preview” function.
All current digital cameras, iPhones or Android phones or laptop/desktop webcams meet this requirement.
Passport photos must have at lease a 300 pixels per inch photo quality if scanning a previous photo (taken within the last 60 days) to their desktop or laptop.
Child or Infant U.S. Passport Photo Requirements
U.S. Passport photo requirements for children and infants must also meet the above criteria.
Be sure to note that:
- A parent, guardian or other person may not be present in the background of the child’s passport photo.
- The child’s or infant’s eyes must be open and looking at the camera.
- No pacifiers or bottles should be in the passport photo.
Tips for taking your toddler’s Passport Photo
- Our On-line U.S. Passport Photo service (007passportphotos) will remove the background from around your, your child’s or any passport or visa photo.
- You may hold your child with you in front of your laptop or tablet webcam to more easily get your child’s eyes to face forward.
- Will we correctly size and remove all portions of the background, even if you are seen holding your child upright.
- We offer a free tutorial teaching parents how to complete and print their passport photos at home for free.
- Lay your child on their back against a white blanket or background and take their photo with a smart phone.
If you are unsure or have questions about about the quality of your passport photo or have general questions concerning U.S. Passport Photo requirements let us know via e-mail or social.