U.S. Visa Photo Requirements
All images and photographs for the application of any United States Visa are the same, and mirror the requirements for U.S. Passport Photos.
Your Visa application may be delayed or denied if you do not submit a proper Visa photo that meets the requirements below. The acceptance of your digital or print U.S. visa photo is up to the discretion of your issuing embassy.
See below for US Visa types and photo specifics.
U.S. Visa Photo Requirements
For print and digital images (where applicable).
- In color
- 2” x 2” square
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
- Taken within the last 6 months
- Full face view with white or off-white background
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head or Top of your chest/shoulders on
- Neutral facial expression or small smile.
- No shadows on face or in background.
- No glare on normally worn prescription glasses.
- Taken in clothing you normally wear.
- No uniforms or camouflage attire should be worn unless that attire is used daily for religious purposes.
- No headphones, sunglasses or anything extraneous on your head or in your photo.
- No hats or head-coverings unless you ware it daily for religious purposes.
- Full face must be visible. No hair or shadows covering your face.
U.S Visa Digital Image Requirements
If your U.S. Visa application requires the submittal of a digital visa photo it must also meet the follow requirements:
- Have dimensions in a square aspect ratio (the height must be equal to the width). Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 x 600 pixels. Maximum
acceptable dimensions are 1200 x 1200 pixels.
- Be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB color space.
- The image must be in JPEG file format
- The image must be less than or equal to 240 kB (kilobytes).
- The image may need to be compressed in order for it to be under the maximum file size. The compression ratio should be less than or equal to 20:1.
- If scanning a print photo, your visa picture must have at lease a 300 pixels per inch and be taken within the last 60 days.
TIP! Sizing and adjusting the file type of your Visa image can be easily completed using your computers “Preview” function.
All current digital cameras, iPhones or Android smartphone and laptop/desktop webcams meet these above criteria.
Child or Infant U.S. Visa Photo Requirements
Visa application for children and infants must also meet the above criteria.
Be sure to note that:
- A parent, guardian or other person may not be present in the background of the child’s visa photo.
- The child’s or infant’s eyes must be open and looking at the camera.
- No pacifiers or bottles should be in the passport photo.
Tips for taking your toddler’s Visa Photo
- Our On-line U.S. Visa photo service at 007passportphotos.com will remove the background from around your, your child’s or any visa or passport photo.
- You may hold your child with you in front of your laptop or tablet webcam to more easily get your child’s eyes to face forward.
- Will we correctly size and remove all portions of the background, even if you are seen holding your child upright.
- We offer a free tutorial teaching parents how to complete and print their U.S. Visa photos at home for free.
- Lay your child on their back against a white blanket or background and take their photo with a smart phone.
Specific U.S. Visa Photo Requirements
Applicants using Form DS-160 or Form DS-1648
If applying for a nonimmigrant visa by filling out the DS-160 or DS-1648 online form, you will need to upload and submit your digital Visa Photo.
Review the above requirements to make sure your Visa Photo is
Some embassies and consulates require visa applicants to bring one (1) photo along with them during the interview.
If in doubt, it’s always advisable to bring one or two printed copies, 2”x2”, just in case.
Review the embassy or consulate instructions where you will apply to learn more.
Applicants using Form DS-260
If applying for an immigrant visa, using Form DS-260, you must provide two (2) identical photos at your immigrant visa interview.
Your Visa photos must meet the above requirements.
If entering the Diversity Visa (DV) Program online, you must upload your digital image as part of your entry.
Your digital image must meet the U.S. Print and Digital Visa Photo requirements above
Each DV applicant will need to bring two (2) identical photos to the interview. Your photos must be:
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size